July 6, 2013 by Tammy
These pancakes are free of gluten and refined sugar, they’re vegan, and they taste awesome! Our toddler loves them! We typically top hers with no sugar added apple butter and a little maple syrup, and she gobbles them up.
Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Vegan Banana Berry Pancakes
Makes about 10 pancakes (Serves 3)
-1/2 cup buckwheat flour
-1/4 cup almond flour
-1/4 cup sorghum flour
-1/4 cup garbanzo flour
-1 T aluminum-free baking powder
-1 T tapioca starch (don’t have to use if you use flaxseeds)
-ceylon cinnamon, to taste
-nutmeg, to taste
-1 banana, mashed with a fork
-1 T flaxseeds, ground and mixed with 4 T water (optional)
-1 T blackstrap molasses (optional — I sometimes use it to add nutrients)
-1 1/4 cups water, no sugar added orange juice or almond milk (or a combo)
-as many berries as you want
-nut butter, no sugar added apple butter, and/or pure organic maple syrup, for topping pancakes
*Notes: You can also use other gluten-free flours, like millet flour and cornmeal, in this recipe. We always use 1/2 C buckwheat flour as the base.
1. In a small bowl, add flax meal followed by water, stirring with a fork as you go. Refrigerate flax egg for 15 minutes to 1 hour to allow it to get sticky like an egg. You can skip this step. You don’t need the flaxseeds.
2. Mix together the flours, baking powder, starch, cinnamon and nutmeg with a fork.
3. In another bowl, mash a banana with your fork.
4. Heat skillet over medium-low heat (we use a setting of 4 with our cast iron skillet).
5. Add flax mixture (if using), banana and water/almond milk/orange juice to the dry ingredients, and mix until uniform.
6. Spray skillet with organic olive oil, or put in about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
7. Use a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to scoop out batter into 3 or 4 mounds on your skillet. Press berries into batter, being careful not to burn yourself.
8. Let the pancakes cook for 3 minutes, then flip and cook on the other side for 3 minutes. After they are cooked, turn down the heat on the skillet a little bit, add some more oil, and start on your second batch.
9. Top with your favorite healthy pancake topping(s).