September 8, 2013 by Tammy
Thank you to Kathy at “Healthy. Happy. Life.” for this awesome dish! My husband and I loved it! Below is our version of the recipe — we adjusted it slightly according to our preferences. For the original recipe, head over to Kathy’s beautiful blog.
Pasta Primavera With Avocado Pesto
Pasta, Veggies & Beans:
-2 cups vegan pasta (gluten-free, if you wish)
-2 cups broccoli florets
-1 bell pepper, chopped
-1/4 red onion, chopped
-8 baby carrots, diced
-10 kalamata onions, diced
-1 15-oz can garbanzo beans
Lemon Pepper Tahini Dressing:
-juice of 1 lemon
-2-3 Tbsp tahini
-2 T extra virgin olive oil
-1/4 tsp garlic powder
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-1/2 tsp chili pepper
-1/2 tsp salt
Avocado Spinach Walnut Pesto:
-1/2 cup raw walnuts
-1 small avocado
-1/3 cup pasta water (or warm water)
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 T extra virgin olive oil
-1 cup mixed greens (ours was a blend of spinach and other greens)
-1-2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (I like Dr. Fuhrman’s, as it contains no synthetic folic acid)
-2 tsp white miso paste (or salt, to taste)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. While the pasta cooks, prepare the veggies and whisk together the ingredients for the tahini dressing.
3. About 2 minutes before the pasta is tender, drop the broccoli into the boiling water to blanch it.
4. Drain the pasta and broccoli and transfer to a large bowl. Add the vegetables, olives and beans.
5. Gently fold in the tahini dressing.
6. Blend the pesto ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
7. Serve the pesto alongside the pasta for diners to mix in as they please. The pasta and the pesto can be served warm or chilled.