October 19, 2013 by Tammy
According to Dr. Michael Greger, date sugar is the healthiest sweetener on the planet (followed by blackstrap molasses). Dr. Greger is a physician, author, and internationally recognized speaker on nutrition, food safety, and public health issues. He scours scientific journals for nutrition-related research, and brings that information to the public in short, easy-to-understand online videos. I have learned so much unbiased information about healthy, vegan eating thanks to Dr. Greger.
This date paste is excellent almost anywhere you’d use a sweetener. I use it spread over bread, and I mix it in overnight oats, oatmeal, pancakes and baked goods.
1. Take the pits out of your dates. I simply rip apart the dates with my fingers and pull out the pits.
2. Pour water over the dates so they are completely submerged, and let them soak for at least 10 minutes.
3. Drain and reserve the water.
4. Put the dates in a food processor with a little bit of the water.
5. Process until smooth, adding reserved water as necessary.
6. Store in the fridge for about 2 weeks.