November 12, 2013 by Tammy
These muffins are moist and delicious. They are free of gluten if you use certified gluten-free oats. They are also free of milk, eggs, oil and refined sugar! I adapted this recipe from the one posted by The Simple Veganista.
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
-2 1/4 cups almond flour (I used a mixture of mostly homemade supplemented by store-bought) *See note.
-1/3 cup gluten-free rolled oats
-1.5 T flaxseeds, ground in a coffee/spice grinder (or 2 T flaxseed meal)
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-1 banana, mashed
-1/4 cup no sugar added apple sauce
-3 pitted dates, soaked for 10 minutes, then drained (I simply rip apart the dates with my fingers and pull out the pits.)
-about 2 T almond milk, for pureeing with dates
-another 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 medium apple, grated (and excess water blotted out with paper towel)
-1 T raw almond butter
*Note: You can make your own almond flour at home by grinding raw almonds in a food processor. For this recipe, use 1 3/4 cups almonds to make 2 1/4 cups almond flour. You can also use almond flour made from almond milk pulp. See recipe here.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, flaxseed meal, salt, baking powder and cinnamon.
3. Puree the dates with about 2 T or so of almond milk.
4. Pour the pureed dates, banana, applesauce, 1/2 cup almond milk, almond butter and vanilla into the dry mixture and combine. Stir in the grated apple.
5. Line muffin tins with liners. Fill each muffin cup almost to the top with batter. Bake for about 18 minutes, or until knife inserted into muffin comes out clean.
7. Let cool on a wire rack.