December 15, 2013 by Tammy
I’ve always loved pumpkin pie, and this vegan version from Healthy Happy Life is even better than the original! Even my non-vegan family and friends love this. It’s perfect for dessert at Thanksgiving, Christmas, or a holiday party. Enjoy!
-1 15 or 16 oz can BPA-free pumpkin puree (or you can use fresh pumpkin puree)
-1 1/4 C raw cashews, soaked for 18 – 24 hours in 2 1/2 C water
-1 tsp salt
-1 C pure, grade B maple syrup
-1 tsp ceylon cinnamon
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-1/4 tsp ginger
-1/8 tsp ground cloves
-1 Wholly Wholesome vegan pie shell from freezer section at Whole Foods (there is a gluten-free option)
1. Soak the cashews in about 2 1/2 cups of water in a large bowl. Add salt to the bowl – mix to dissolve. The salt allows the water to absorb more efficiently into the cashews and also adds some salt to your recipe.
2. Soak this cashew bowl overnight, on the counter or in the fridge. You want well-soaked cashews so that your pie mix blends up perfectly creamy. I soaked my cashews for about 18 hours. Soak for at least 8 hours but no more than 2 days.
3. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
4. Drain the water from your cashews. They should be very soft to bite and have a slight purplish hue.
5. Put cashews in your food processor or high speed blender. Next, add in pumpkin, maple syrup and spices. Blend on low for a minute or 2; then blend on high for a few minutes until the mixture is completely creamy.
6. Pour your mix into your pie crust.
7. Bake pie at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Then reduce to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly wet and very thick. Your pie will firm up significantly upon cooling and chilling in the fridge.
8. Remove pie from oven. Cool on counter for at least 30 minutes. Then place in fridge until ready to serve. At least 2 hours chilling time is ideal (I refrigerated mine overnight).