March 10, 2015 by Tammy
These pancakes are vegan, high in protein, free of gluten and refined sugar, and they taste delicious! Our toddler loves them!
High Protein Pancakes
Makes about 10 – 11 pancakes (Serves 3 – 4)
-1/2 cup buckwheat flour
-1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
-1/4 cup hemp protein powder
-1 T aluminum-free baking powder
-ceylon cinnamon, to taste
-nutmeg and cloves, to taste
-1 banana, mashed with a fork
-1 T chia seeds or flaxseeds, ground and mixed with 4 T water (OR 1 T tapioca starch without water)
-1 1/4 cups water or almond milk (or a combo)
-nut butter, no sugar added apple butter, and/or pure organic maple syrup, for topping pancakes
1. In a small bowl, add chia seeds or flaxseeds and water. Stir with a fork. Refrigerate chia/flax egg until you are ready to use it.
2. Mix together the flours, protein powder, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves with a fork.
3. In another bowl, mash a banana with your fork.
4. Heat skillet over medium-low heat (we use a setting of 4 with our cast iron skillet).
5. Add flax mixture (if using), banana and water/almond milk to the dry ingredients, and mix until uniform.
6. Put about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in preheated skillet.
7. Use a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop to scoop out batter into 3 or 4 mounds on your skillet. Press any fruit or nuts into the batter at this time — we love cherries and pecans.
8. Let the pancakes cook for 3 minutes, then flip and cook on the other side for 3 minutes. After they are cooked, turn down the heat on the skillet a little bit, add some more oil, and start on your second batch.
9. Top with your favorite healthy pancake topping(s).